NAME : Dr. Raghuraj Hegde, MBBS, MS.
Consultant – Orbit, Oculoplasty & Ocular Oncology
The Eye Foundation, Bengaluru
- MS Ophthalmology- Master of Surgery (Ophthalmology)Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Kolkata 2009-2012
- Fellowship in Orbit, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery and Ocular Oncology National University Hospital, Singapore. 2014-2015 Trained under Dr. Gangadhara Sundar and A/Prof Shantha Amrith
- Fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore- 2013-2014
- Observership in Orbit, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery and Ocular Oncology L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad- 2012 Trained under Dr. Santosh Honavar and Dr. Milind Naik
AREAS OF EXPERTISE :
SURGICAL TRAINING DURING CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
- EYELID SURGERY
- Dry eye managements- including permanent punctual closures
- Ectropion, Entropion and lid tightening surgeries- Lateral tarsal strip, Modified lateral suture canthoplasty.
- Ptosis surgery like tars
- -frontalis sling, conjunctival mullerectomy and Levator resection procedure.
- Extensive lid reconstruction using various flap techiniques and free skin grafting after removal of lid tumours.
- Various eyelid and facial reconstruction procedures
- Repair of eyelid, canaliculi and facial lacerations
- Epiblepharon Correction
- LACRIMAL SURGERY
- Dacryocystorhinostomy- External and endoscopic
- Balloon canaliculoplasty & Dacryoplasty
- Probing of Nasolacrimal Duct and Inferior turbinate infracture
- OCULAR ONCOLOGY
- Management of various eye, eyelid and eye socket cancers.
- Management Pediatric Eye cancers like Retinoblastoma, Neuroblastoma,Rhabdomyosarcoma and others
- Retinoblastoma Management- Involves multidisciplinary approach from a team involving an Ocular Oncologist, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeon, Radiation Oncologist, Pediatric Oncologist and Ocularist.
- COSMETIC PROCEDURES AND AESTHETIC SURGERY
- Cosmetic Procedures including Botox injections, Fillers and spacers
- Blepharoplasty- Upper and lower eyelid
- Eyelid retractor repair
- Direct, Pre-trichial and endoscopic brow lift.
- Liposuction and fat transfer
- Management of THYROID EYE DISEASE– medical and surgical Management- Intravenous steroids, orbital decompression and eyelid malposition repair.
- FACIAL PALSY REHABILITATION including restorative surgery
- Was posted on a rotational basis in units specializing in Anterior segment, Cornea & Refractive surgery, Orbit & Oculoplasty, Glaucoma, Strabismus, Retina & Vitreous during the three years of post graduation.
- Involved in engaging undergraduates in theory classes and clinical case discussion.
- Proficient in managing the out -patient department independently
- Proficient in OPD procedures like Slit lamp bi
- -microscopy, Direct Ophthalmoscopy, +90D ophthalmoscopy, Pentacam, AS-OCT, Indirect Ophthalmoscopy, ApplanationTonometry, Lacrimal syringing, YAG Capsulotomy, YAG PI, OCT, DFA, USG, SD-OCT, Laser for posterior segment, Operating microscope etc.
- Pre-op and post- op work-up of in-patients along with ward duties.
- Responsibilitiesincluded maintaining updated case sheets, maintaining inventory registers, supervising nurses and auxiliary case workers
- Experience in emergency eye trauma management and cadaver eye retrieval during emergency duties.
- Hands on experience in
- Cataract Surgery- ECCE- 10 cases, MSICS-1200+cases and Phac
- Repair of corneal/sclera/corne
- -scleral ruptures- 80+cases.
- Penetrating keratoplasty (optical,therapeutic & tectonic ) – 80+ cases .
- Pterygiumexcision with conjunctival autograft using fibrin glue or sutures
- Amniotic Membrane grafting (50+ cases)
- Laser Yag PI and capsulotomy.
- Laser PRP through slit lamp delivery and indirect ophthalmoscopic delivery systems.
- DCT, DCR(60+ cases).
- Ectropionsurgeries (40 cases),Entropion surgeries (40 cases) .
- Simple lid reconstruction procedures after removal of small lid tumours.
- Ptosissurgery like tars-frontalis sling (50+cases) and fasanella-savat procedure (10 cases).
- Evisceration/enucleation with implant insertion (100+ cases)
- Preparation/Closure of vitrectomy ports and vitreous tamponading.
- Orbital fracture repair.
- Epiblepharon correction
- Assisted in
- All the above mentioned surgeries including complicated cases
- Advanced lid surgeries like tarsal fracture, levator resection, lateral tarsal strip.
- Extensive lid reconstruction using various flap techiniques and free skin grafting.
- Orbital surgeries like Anterior/lateral orbitotomy using various techniques, orbital decompression, repair of injuries in Blow out fractures, removal intra-orbital & extra-ocular foreign bodies.
- Scleral buckling procedures
- Pars-plana vitrectomy including complex vitre-retinal surgeries andmacular hole surgeries..
- Attended and actively participated in clinical meetings, case discussions, seminars organised by our institute and other bodies in Kolkata.
- Attended eye screening camps held in rural and sub-urban areas organized by various bodies.
PUBLICATIONS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Ghosh S, Bansal P, Sheja
- H, Hegde R, Roy D, Biswas S. Correlation of morphological
- pattern of optical coherence tomography in diabetic macular edema with systemicrisk factors in middle aged males. Int Ophthalmol. 2014 Mar.
- Kumar P, Mondal A, Shashidhar T, HegdeRS, Gharami RC. PhotoDermDiagnosis: Yellowish papules over neck and upper chest; Journal of Pakistan AssociationDermatologists 2011; 21: 71-73.
- My presentation titled “Orbital Anatomy and its Clinical Importance” was selected for the final round of Postgraduate Lecture Competition which was a part of EYE-PEP2011, a postgraduate education program in L.V. P. E. I. Hyderabad held in September, 2011.
- Presented a free paper titled “Incidence of Benign and Malignant neoplasms of eyelid in elderly age group presenting in a tertiary hospital” Authors: Raghuraj S.Hegde, G. Bhaduri, S. S. Chatterjee at the 22nd Annual Conference of the Oculoplastics Association of India(OPAI) – EYEPLASTY-2011 held at Kanpur in November,2011.
- -author of a chapter on “Ocular manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus” in a soon t
- be published book titled “Eye in Systemic Diseases” Edited by Prof.H.V. Nema.
- Placed 2nd in my Institute in the MS Ophthalmology examinations held in April – May 2012
- Moderator in the Ophthalmology career forum of RXPG.com www.rxpgonline.com the medical postgraduate entrance examination and career advice website for doctors in India.
- Volunteer surgeon for a Singapore based non-profit organization- “The Vision Mission” performing surgeries in remote areas of India in Odhisha, Bihar and Andhra Pradesh.www.thevisionmission.org
- Regular Blogger at www.raghurajhegde.blogspot.in and www.raghurajhegde.blogspot.in