Rapid strides have been made in the field of cataract surgery, which has made it safe with predictable outcomes. Gone are the days when a patient would have to sacrifice 6-8 weeks of their daily life to take care of their eyes after surgery. With the use of advanced technology and modern intraocular lenses, cataract surgery has become a day care surgery and allows patients to get back to their daily life and work in as less as 3-4 days. In this post by The Eye Foundation, you will come across some useful tips that will ensure faster recovery after cataract surgery.
Immediate care after the surgery
After the surgery, have someone to drive you home. Wear the sunglasses given to you to protect your eye from the bright light and glare.Depending on your surgeon’s advice, the protective shield placed over your eye can be removed, few hours after the procedure. It is important to avoid rubbing your eyes or any from physical contact with your eye in the immediatepost operative period.
How to achieve the best recovery after cataract surgery?
With proper care you will be able to resume normal activities after the cataract surgery. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Use the eye drops as prescribed by your surgeon in the correct schedule as they will prevent any post operative inflammation. Do note that some of these drops need to be used in tapering doses.
- Wear dark glasses during daytime in the first few days and put eye-shield over your eyes during sleep.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- Avoid splashing water into the operated eye; avoid head baths for 2 weeks.
- The operated eye needs to be cleaned at least twice a day with properly washed hands. Sterile wipes can be used to clean any debris or dirt around the eyes and to avoid any sticky sensation from use of eye drops.
- If you experience increased redness in the operated eye, decline in vision, persistent pain, nausea or vomiting, it is very important to contact your surgeon without any delay.
Cataract surgery is one of the safest surgical procedures, with excellent outcomes if it is performed by experienced surgeons like the experts at The Eye Foundation and proper care is taken after the surgery. The Eye Foundation has successfully treated more than a million people for three decades for various eye ailments. Visit http://theeyefoundation.com/ today to know how you can benefit from our services.Leave a reply →